BE THE FIRST TO GET LATEST JOBSEnter your email address to subscribe to latest Jobs notifications via your email
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Protocol Assistant – Travels
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Department: General Administration And Conference
Directorate: Conference & Protocol
Line Supervisor: Logistics & Reception Officer
- This position reports to the Logistics & Reception Officer and will be responsible for supporting the booking and coordination of all transport logistics solutions for the ECOWAS Commission and to ensure that these functions are carried out effectively, in harmony, and in accordance with applicable statutory regulations and ECOWAS Travel Policy and operational standards.
Role & Responsibilities
- Implement procedures relating to the travel policy of the ECOWAS Commission and provision of necessary support for the provision of optimum travel and ticketing requirements for the Commission, for all modes of transport;
- Operate the ECOWAS Travel Management Module at the appropriate level of responsibility
- Support the preparation of specifications for the outsourcing of Air Travel and Ticketing Agency services
- Implement effective procedures to be used in ticketing operations.
- Obtain quotations from various airlines to find the best flight prices and options and buy and refund airline tickets as requested
- Manage databases of tickets and other important data related to Air Travel of the Commission;
- Prepare periodic reports on expenditure and related information regarding travels;
- Develop itineraries for corporate travel and meetings;
- May be required to serve in the other units of Protocol Division upon occasion (Immunities and Privileges, Receptions, Consular);
- Performs other duties as assigned
Academic Qualifications & Experience
- Brevet de Technicien/Ordinary National Diploma (OND) in Tourism, Logistics Management, Project Management, Travel Management, Social Sciences, or Humanities;
- IATA Diploma in Travel Sales & Operations, Amadeus, Galileo, SMART Amadeus, Corporate Travel Programs
- 5 years’ experience in the specific area of ticketing and travel logistics, preferable in an International Organization or in a multi-lateral setting, and/or experience in international travel arrangements, procedures and processes;
- Knowledge of travel related processing requirements and logistics, visa applications and processes, ticketing and reservations;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS conference policies, procedures and practices, accepted norms, rules and customs of international diplomatic protocol, including practices developed within the ECOWAS System;
- Knowledge of planning and implementation of administrative and logistical arrangements for meetings, conferences, and workshops within and outside base station;
- Ability to research, select, organize and summarize information required for the preparation of meetings and to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations;
- Accounting skills and use of spreadsheets would be an advantage;
- Extremely strong proficiency in MS Office Suite
- Knowledge of order and rules of precedence;
- Basic accounting, graphics design
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies:
- Ability to assume a credible presence when explaining rules, standards and expectations (e.g. deadlines) to ensure compliance and work expectations are met;
- Ability to motivate self and/or others to engage in discussions that will result in recommendations to improve processes, templates or other work tools;
- Ability to engage in positive approaches to team work, participate actively in discussions and the achievement of team goals;
- Ability to take responsibility for own career and performance with the occasional guidance from the supervisor/mentor;
- Ability to build capacity of self and others by sharing knowledge, tools, expertise and experience with others to remain proficient and well informed in the execution of assigned role.
- Interpersonal, listening and multitasking skills with a good understanding of client service responsibilities and role in representing ECOWAS values in all interactions;
- Ability to take initiative to resolve routine problems associated with assigned tasks using good judgment in involving colleagues or superiors as required;
- Ability to work as part of a team with the ability to explain client interactions to resolve concerns, problems and improve services;
- Ability to manage own time effectively and organize own work area in a manner that will meet performance expectations related to assigned client services;
- Ability to direct people to the appropriate source for further information and ask for help when overwhelmed with client demands.
- Ability to apply culturally-relevant and appropriate approaches with people from diverse cultural backgrounds;
- Good diversity management skills to interact with individuals in a manner that is culturally appropriate and in accordance with ECOWAS rules/policies;
- Ability to recognize preconceived notions and stereotypical views of certain groups and individuals and to successfully adopt inclusive and culturally appropriate behaviors;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Knowledge of diversity management as it relates to daily work expectations and assigned tasks.
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS mandate and operational goals of relevance to assigned responsibilities;
- Ability to keep up-to-date with Departmental activities, schedules and goals of pertinence to own work team, functional area;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS procedures relevant to assigned work and the ability to apply sound judgment in their application;
- Demonstrated strong interest and commitment to ECOWAS values and activities in daily assumption of duties.
- Excellent ability to maintain, process and provide accurate information as part of assigned tasks;
- Ability to organize files and information for easy retrieval and record keeping;
- Ability to spot mistakes, act promptly to correct them and learn from experiences;
- Knowledge and ability to challenge and question fundamental assumptions regarding accepted ways of doing things in the spirit of improvement
- Ability to use current technology to communicate effectively e.g. office software programs, including spreadsheets, word processing and graphic presentation software; ability to type and format presentations, reports, manuals, newsletters, website content and proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Well-developed information sharing skills using technology and in accordance in established processes and practices;
- Advanced verbal assertiveness and communication skills with a demonstrated ability to acknowledge and understand the validity of others’ viewpoints and to respond in a constructive manner;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to allocate time for specific task in a manner that will meet deadlines and quality/quantity expectations
- Good organizational skills with an excellent ability to break down work into smaller parts and focusing on the most important steps first;
- Ability to contribute to maintaining organizational performance standards throughout implementation of new processes, practices and plans adopted by the Department and of relevance to assigned tasks;
- Ability to monitor progress and to consider new goals in the context of assigned responsibilities;
- Ability to follow through with commitments made to others.
- UA20,166.30,USD 31,818.39 (G4)
- UA25,527.53, USD40,277.34 (G5)
- UA30,178.98, USD47,616.39 (G6)
Application Closing Date
22nd April, 2020.