How to Apply for a Nigerian Passport as a Foreigner:
Planning a trip to Nigeria? If you are a foreigner visiting Nigeria, obtaining a Nigerian passport is crucial for seamless travel and access to various services within the country.
In this comprehensive guide, we will provide you with a step-by-step breakdown of the Nigerian passport application process for foreigners.
Whether you are visiting for tourism, business, or personal reasons, this guide will simplify the application process for you.
Additionally, we will address frequently asked questions (FAQs) to address common concerns.
Let’s explore how you can obtain a Nigerian passport as a foreigner!
Step-by-Step Guide to Applying for a Nigerian Passport as a Foreigner
1. Determine the Type of Passport
– Identify the type of Nigerian passport you need, such as the Standard Passport or the Official Passport. Visit the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) website to find detailed information on each passport category.
2. Gather the Required Documents
– Collect the necessary documents, including a valid visa or residence permit, proof of legal stay in Nigeria, a letter of introduction from your embassy or employer, a copy of your bio-data page in your current passport, and two recent passport-sized photographs with a white background.
3. Complete the Application Form
– Obtain an application form from the NIS website or any designated passport office. Fill in the form accurately with your personal information, contact details, and information about your stay in Nigeria.
4. Pay the Application Fee
– Pay the required application fee through the designated payment channels. The fee may vary depending on the type of passport and processing time selected.
5. Book an Appointment
– Visit the NIS website or contact the nearest passport office to schedule an appointment for biometric data capture. Choose a convenient date and time for your appointment.
6. Attend the Appointment
– On the scheduled date, arrive at the passport office with all the required documents, payment receipt, and appointment confirmation. Your biometric data, including fingerprints and photographs, will be captured.
7. Track Your Application
– After your biometric data capture, you will receive a tracking number. Use this number to track the progress of your passport application on the NIS website or through the designated tracking system.
8. Collect Your Passport
– Once your passport is ready, visit the passport office to collect it. Bring the tracking number and a valid identification document for verification purposes. Follow the instructions provided by the passport office.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Applying for a Nigerian Passport as a Foreigner
1. Can foreigners apply for a Nigerian passport?
– Yes, foreigners who reside or have a valid visa to stay in Nigeria can apply for a Nigerian passport. The application process is similar to that of Nigerian citizens.
2. What is the validity period of a Nigerian passport for foreigners?
– The validity period of a Nigerian passport for foreigners may vary. It depends on factors such as the type of passport and the duration of your legal stay in Nigeria. Typically, it ranges from one to five years.
3. Can I travel to Nigeria without a Nigerian passport?
– While it is possible to travel to Nigeria with a valid visa or travel document, having a Nigerian passport simplifies the entry and exit procedures and allows for smoother travel within the country.
4. Can I renew my Nigerian passport as a foreigner?
– Yes, foreigners can renew their Nigerian passports. The renewal process requires submitting the necessary documents, including the expiring passport and proof of legal stay in Nigeria.