Step-by-Step Guide to Applying for a Nigerian International Passport:
Are you a Nigerian citizen planning to travel abroad? Applying for a Nigerian international passport is an essential step to ensure smooth entry and travel across borders.
In this comprehensive guide, we will provide you with a step-by-step breakdown of the Nigerian international passport application process.
Whether you are a first-time applicant or need to renew your passport, this guide will simplify the application process for you.
Additionally, we will address frequently asked questions (FAQs) to provide you with all the necessary information.
Let’s get started on your journey to obtaining a Nigerian international passport!
Step-by-Step Guide to Applying for a Nigerian International Passport
1. Gather the Required Documents
– Collect the necessary documents, including your birth certificate or age declaration, local government identification, proof of Nigerian citizenship, and two recent passport-sized photographs with a white background.
2. Complete the Application Form
– Obtain an application form from the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) website or any designated passport office. Fill in the form accurately with your personal information, contact details, and emergency contact information.
3. Make Payment
– Pay the required application fee through the designated payment channels. The fee may vary depending on the type of passport and processing time selected.
4. Book an Appointment
– Visit the NIS website or contact the nearest passport office to schedule an appointment for biometric data capture. Choose a convenient date and time for your appointment.
5. Attend the Appointment
– On the scheduled date, arrive at the passport office with all the required documents, payment receipt, and appointment confirmation. Your biometric data, including fingerprints and photographs, will be captured.
6. Track Your Application
– After your biometric data capture, you will receive a tracking number. Use this number to track the progress of your passport application on the NIS website or through the designated tracking system.
7. Collect Your Passport
– Once your passport is ready, visit the passport office to collect it. Bring the tracking number and a valid identification document for verification purposes. Follow the instructions provided by the passport office.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Applying for a Nigerian International Passport
1. How long does it take to process a Nigerian international passport?
– The processing time for a Nigerian international passport can vary depending on various factors. It typically takes a few weeks to several months. Applying well in advance of your intended travel date is recommended.
2. Can I apply for a Nigerian international passport online?
– Yes, the Nigerian Immigration Service has an online platform where you can begin your passport application process. However, you will still need to visit a passport office for biometric data capture.
3. Can I renew my Nigerian international passport before it expires?
– Yes, you can renew your Nigerian international passport before it expires. It is advisable to start the renewal process at least six months before the expiration date to avoid any travel complications.
4. What is the validity period of a Nigerian international passport?
– The validity period of a Nigerian international passport depends on the type of passport issued. The standard validity is 10 years for adults and 5 years for children under 18 years old.
5. Can I change my name or update my information on my Nigerian international passport?
– Yes, you can request a name change or update your information on your Nigerian international passport. The process may require additional documentation, such as a marriage certificate or court order. Contact the passport office for specific requirements.